A lot of people complain about receiving an error while opening any particular program or trying to launch the Windows. The error which gets displayed is “the application was unable to start correctly” along with error code (0xc000007b). The error code can be different also. But why does this error occurs?
A computer system is a machine, and like any other machine, it is also having a set of complex systems in it and various problems associated with it. It is delicate, therefore requires proper monitoring while operating it as a lack of attention can become problematic. While operating it, we can face any issues since the software embedded in it can get affected by viruses or other technical issues and the hardware can malfunction too sometimes. Hence, the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error can occur due to the following reasons.
- Mixing of 32- bit and 64- a bit of Windows version and application.
- Something goes wrong with certain files and programs.
- Windows update.
Usually, this error occurs if you update to another Windows version from the previous one. Can this error be fixed? Yes, it can be fixed, and for this, we have compiled a list of methods for you.
- 1 Methods for fixing the application was unable to start (0xc000007b) error
- 1.1 Method 1: Reboot Your Computer
- 1.2 Method 2: Run Your Application as Administrator
- 1.3 Method 3: Reinstall Your Application
- 1.4 Method 4: Reinstall Microsoft .NET framework
- 1.5 Method 5: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
- 1.6 Method 6: Update your Windows
- 1.7 Method 7: Run Check Disk
- 1.8 Method 8: Change the Registry Value
- 1.9 Method 9: Update Windows 10 from 32-bit to 64- bit
- 1.10 Method 10: Install and Run VC Redist
- 2 Conclusion
Methods for fixing the application was unable to start (0xc000007b) error
Method 1: Reboot Your Computer
Rebooting your computer is the simplest and most common method for tackling error of any type. This process hardly takes any time and can be used as the first alternative always whenever you face this error. A tiny glitch in the system can sometimes cause this error in the system and rebooting your system can fix it for you. Thus rebooting your computer turns out to be the easiest method for fixing this error.
Method 2: Run Your Application as Administrator
You can also try to run your application as the administrator while solving this error. For running your application as an administrator you can do the following-
1. Go to any application which you want to open and right-click on it. From the expanded list of options which appear click on properties.
2. In the properties section, go to the compatibility tab. Check run this program as an administrator and click Ok.
3. Now try to run the application as the administrator and check whether this method has fixed the error or not.
You Might Be Facing: Sim Not Provisioned MM#2 Error
Method 3: Reinstall Your Application
The application which is not opening up might have a problem in itself and contain some files in it which got corrupted. The faulty application itself can cause the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error to appear, so you need to uninstall the application first. After uninstalling it, reinstall it again and check if it is opening or not. If not, then the application is fine and the error is because of some other reason which you need to find out.
Method 4: Reinstall Microsoft .NET framework
.NET is a framework developed by Microsoft which supports applications using .Net technologies. The Microsoft .NET is an important constituent of Windows 8 and Windows 10 so you cannot remove and reinstall it manually in these versions of the Windows. You have to update your Windows in order to install the latest version of the .NET framework in Windows 8 and 10. We are giving steps to install it manually for Windows 7, and they are as follows.
1. Open the run dialogue by pressing together Windows and R keys. In the run box type “control” and press Ok.
2. In the control panel, find and open programs and features option.
3. Now you need to do a single click on every item which starts with Microsoft .NET. Click Uninstall/change and after that follow the instructions which appear to uninstall the items you clicked on.
4. Finally, go to the Microsoft .NET framework download website to download and install the framework.
Method 5: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
The Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package helps in running multiple applications. Sometimes certain files in this redistributable package get corrupted and because of which the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error occurs. So you are required to uninstall and reinstall it again. For doing this, you need to use the following steps in order.
1. Open the search box and type control in it and press enter. Then in the control panel go to “Uninstall a program” option.
2. Next, uninstall all the items named “Microsoft visual C++ 2*** Redistributable”.
3. Now go to the Microsoft website to download and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.
Check This Also:
Method 6: Update your Windows
Updating your Windows can also help in fixing this error. Features and programs like DirectX and .NET framework also get updated during the process. Usually updating the Windows can itself eliminate any possible errors or faults present in the computer system. An outdated system is prone to viruses and is slow in functioning, so updating the system can be one way of fixing the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error.
Method 7: Run Check Disk
This is done by using the following steps.
1. Click on the start menu and go to the search box. In the box type “cmd” and press enter. Now right-click on command prompt and then select run as administrator.
2. Now enter “chkdsk c:/f/r” . Entering this means that you are going to check and repair C drive. The set of instructions which appear are to be followed by you so that you complete the process.
3. After the completion of the process, check if the error has been resolved or not.
Method 8: Change the Registry Value
1. Press Windows and R key simultaneously to open run. Type regedit in the Run box and click on OK to continue.
2. Now in the registry editor window go to the following folder.
3. Double-Click on LoadApplnit.DLLs and then change the value data to 0. Click on ok and continue.
4. After finishing the above step reboot your computer and after it starts again to check if the error persists now or not.
Method 9: Update Windows 10 from 32-bit to 64- bit
This error can also occur because of mixing of 32-bit and 64-bit of Windows version and application. Thus you can fix the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error by updating your Windows from one 32-bit to 64-bit also. It is important to take into consideration that all the important data on your system has a backup and if not, then create one before updating. Steps for updating Windows 10 from 32-bit to 64- bit is as follows.
1. First, you need to prepare Windows installation media and boot your computer from it.
2. Then click on install now to start the update process.
3. Your Windows 10 will upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit after the completion of the process and thereby eliminating the error too.
Method 10: Install and Run VC Redist
This is the last method which you can use to fix the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error. All you need to do is to follow these two steps.
1. First, download the VC Redist installer and run it.
2. After the completion of its process, reboot your computer and then check if the error has been resolved or not.
So we conclude by saying that you are in safe hands now since our methods are going to help you in fixing the application was unable to start correctly error. Any application or program not opening up will now be easily opened as you know their reasons and proper diagnosis.
I’m an engineer by profession and blogger by passion. In madly love with technology. When I am not reading novels, I am cooking or listening to Jay Shetty’s podcasts.