We human beings are wired to go into panic mode whenever something goes wrong in our lives. Often we focus upon the negative aspects of a particular incident while ignoring numerous possibilities surrounding it. Similarly, while operating our computer systems, we face many problems which immediately cause us to start panicking. One of the most popular errors is “atikmpag.sys Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)” which users around the world have faced while using the Windows operating system. This error occurs if the graphics driver becomes corrupt, flawed, and inconsistent. The users also encounter this error after upgrading their systems or drivers.
This error happens when we are using an AMD graphic card. The Windows system which upgrades automatically downloads inconsistent drivers resulting in BSOD error. There is no need to bother at all, as this error can be fixed with the help of specific procedures. The methods which can be a useful tool for fixing this error are as follows.
- 1 Fix atikmpag.sys Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Issue
- 1.1 Method 1: Update AMD Graphic Card Driver
- 1.2 Method 2: Re-install Drivers in Safe Mode
- 1.3 Method 3: Use CMD commands
- 1.4 Method 4: Disable Intel HD Graphics Driver
- 1.5 Method 5: Downgrade to 120hz
- 1.6 Method 6: Repair Corrupt System Files
- 1.7 Method 7: Check for Hard Drive Corruption
- 1.8 Method 8: Clean installation of Windows
- 2 Conclusion
Fix atikmpag.sys Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Issue
Method 1: Update AMD Graphic Card Driver
It consists of the following steps.
1. Open up the run box by simultaneously pressing Windows and R key. Type devmgmt.msc in the box and press enter to open up the device manager.
2. Double-Click on the display adapter and then right click on your AMD card. Now select the Update Driver option.
3. In the following screen, pick Search automatically for the updated driver software option.
4. If you are unable to detect an update then again right click and pick Update Driver.
5. Now choose “Browse my computer for driver software”.
6. Click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer”.
7. The latest AMD driver is to be selected from the list, and then the installation process has to be finished.
8. The last step is to reboot the PC to save changes and atikmpag.sys will be solved.
Method 2: Re-install Drivers in Safe Mode
This method requires you to have the latest version of AMD/ATI graphics card driver. Steps are as follows.
1. Go to Safe Mode in Windows 10 and reboot your PC. To open up the Boot Options press F8 before the Windows logo appears. Pick Safe Mode in the list.
2. Proceed to Device Managers and follow the same steps as used in the previous method.
3. Increase display adapters and right click on AMD/ATI device. Click on uninstall.
4. Now click OK.
5. You have to reboot the system currently in normal mode and install the latest version of Intel chipset driver.
6. Again you have to restart the system.
7. Try to install the AMD/ATI graphics driver again.
Method 3: Use CMD commands
This method can be performed by taking these steps.
1. Download the latest built of AMD/ATI graphics card driver.
2. Proceed to the following in your computer: C:\Windows\System32\drivers.
3. Search for the atikmpag.sys file and after locating it, rename it as atikmpag.sys.old.
4. Enter the ATI directory which is in your C drive and copy-paste the atikmdag.sys file on the desktop.
5. Open a raised command prompt window on the PC, right click on the Windows start icon and choose Command Prompt (admin).
6. To change the default cmd directory, you need to type chdir desktop in cmd and then press Enter.
7. Enter expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press enter.
8. After the completion of the process, copy atikmdag.sys file from the desktop and place it in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.
9. In the end, restart your system.
Method 4: Disable Intel HD Graphics Driver
1. Open up the run dialogue by pressing Windows key and R at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and enter to open up device manager.
2. Further in the display adapters right click on Intel HD Graphics and select Disable option.
3. Reboot the pc to save changes this will fix the atikmpag.sys error in your system.
You Might Be Facing: Nvlddmkm.Sys Error on Windows 10
Method 5: Downgrade to 120hz
To measure the rate of monitor’s refresh, we use Hertz. Your monitor which runs on 144hz, can sometimes face problems even if it is compatible to run at this rate. To solve this issue, sometimes, we need to downgrade the hertz rate to 120. To do that :
1. Right click on the desktop and choose Display Settings.
2. Select the “Advanced Display Settings’ option.
3. Choose “Display Adapter Properties for Display 1” and in the popup click on “Monitor”.
4. Click on Screen Refresh Rate and select 120hz from there.
5. Apply and then press OK to finish the process.
Method 6: Repair Corrupt System Files
The files should be scanned to determine whether they have become corrupt or not. The files which are corrupted should be fixed, and then you should see if the error persists or not. Corrupt files can be one of the leading causes for atikmpag.sys error to occur.
Method 7: Check for Hard Drive Corruption
Microsoft inbuilt check disk facility can be used to scan and fix the hard drive corrupted. To do this. Follow the steps.
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Type “command” in the search box. Hold the ctrl+ shift and press Enter.
3. A permission dialogue box will be displayed on the screen, and you need to click on Yes.
4. Now type “chkdsk/f” and then Enter.
5. “chkdsk/f” will scan for any hard disk corruption.
6. The instructions which will be displayed are to be followed. If corruption is detected, it will be solved probably.
Method 8: Clean installation of Windows
To clean the Windows installation, you need to back up all your important documents, pictures, videos, files, and any relevant data. This process will eliminate everything from the hard drive. This helps in removing all the junk even though it is a time-consuming process. This method can solve the issue effectively.
So we have listed every possible method which can be used to fix atikmpag.sys Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Error. These methods are simple, reliable, and easy to use. Even a layman can use these methods to fix this error without worrying about anything going wrong.
I’m an IT Professional with diverse operational experience in IT industry. I am very passionate about technology and love helping people thrive in tech. I believe that every problem has a solution, you just have to find a way to fix it. And that’s exactly why I started this troubleshooting website to help people easily fix various technical errors in their systems easily with my cool guides.