If your system shows a label of ‘Integrated Digital Tuner’, ‘Digital Tuner’, or ‘Digital Receiver’, etc. then it means that it has a built-in Digital TV tuner. But what exactly is a Digital TV tuner? A digital TV tuner is a device that enables viewing of the local TV network channels, directly on your system. It’s part of the Windows Media Centre. It’s a scheduled task that comes pre-installed on your system. This software creates a process known as ehprivjob.exe on your computer system. But users have been reporting issues of slowing down of the system because of this Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application. When an anti-virus scan is performed, this application is shown as one among the many that are the reasons for the slower performance of the computer. Let’s have a look at the reasons that can lead to such an issue.
Why Digital TV Tuner Registration Application error occurs?
This software is installed into the RAM and runs as a part of the Windows Media Centre. So whenever Windows Media Centre runs, all the commands of ehprivjob.exe also get executed. Although this program is not CPU intensive, it can still affect the performance of your system, especially when a lot of other programs are running simultaneously. Thus it’s advisable to disable the programs that automatically launch themselves on startup.
5 Methods to fix the error caused by Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application
There are a number of methods to fix the error caused by Digital TV Tuner Registration Application and they have been discussed below. Any one of these methods can be put to use, whichever works for you, and you will be good to go.
Method 1: End the process
A good way to get rid of this error is to end the program that is causing it. Digital TV Tuner can be closed by using the task manager. Follow to below-mentioned steps, to end the program:
- Open Windows Task Manager. There are two short-cuts to open it. Either press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together. Or press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Start Task Manager from there.
- Click on the ‘Performance’ tab, and select ‘Resource Monitor’ from there.
- Navigate and find ehprivjob.exe process under the ‘Process’ tab and end it.
- For ending it, select the process and click on ‘End Process’ option.
- Click on OK and close the Windows Task Manager.
- Restart your system now so that the changes may take effect.
- Also, you can end other processes as well; those are not crucial and are just affecting the performance of your system.
It’s a highly effective method to solve the issue and end the Digital TV Tuner Device registration application.
Method 2: Turning off Windows feature
One of the ways to fix the issue is to turn off the Windows feature which provides the Digital TV tuner registration application on the system.
- Open Control Panel. You can either open it directly or by clicking on start, and then searching it via the search bar.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off, given on the left side.
- Select Media features and expand it using the expand icon.
- Find the Windows Media Centre option. Uncheck it.
- Click on OK.
- Restart your system to let the changes take effect.
Method 3: Disable ‘ehdrminit’
ehdrminit is a scheduled task at the background which can be a major cause of this issue. The Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application issue can be fixed by disabling this issue. Follow these steps, to disable it:
- Open Task Scheduler. You can click on start and search for it in the search bar.
- Click on Library and then select the Microsoft folder.
- Open the Windows folder now and disable the ‘ehdrminit’ task.
- Close all the folders.
- Restart your system.
Method 4: Deleting the contents of the DRM folder
Follow these steps for deleting the contents of the DRM folder are:
- Open ‘Computer’.
- Go to Local Disk C and select Program or Program files from there.
- Open the Data folder.
- Then select Microsoft and further select Windows option.
- Open the DRM folder and delete the contents within.
- Restart your computer.
Method 5: Uninstall TV Tuner
Another fix that you can put to use is to uninstall the TV tuner. The steps to be followed to uninstall the TV tuner are:
- Open the Control Panel on your system.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- From the list of installed programs, select Digital TV tuner.
- Uninstall the program and follow the steps as directed.
- Upon completion, go to Registry editor.
- For opening the registry editor, press Windows + R key.
- This will open the Run dialog box. Type the command “regedit” and press Enter.
- Once the Registry Editor Window opens, locate the following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
- In this, navigate to the folder containing your digital TV tuner and then delete it.
- Afterward, locate this address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\egui
- Delete any entries therein.
- Restart your computer.
This way you will uninstall the TV tuner on your computer and you’ll be able to fix the Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application.
Some users have also reported that Digital TV tuner device registration application is a legitimate process and not malicious, so it shouldn’t cause any problems. But there can be other viruses or malware disguising themselves as Digital TV tuner registration application. Thus whether it’s the authentic Digital TV tuner or a virus, can be verified by a scan via a reliable anti-virus program.
Digital TV tuner registration application error can be very annoying, as it slows the performance of the computer and takes up huge space of the system. Some users have reported that the scans done by their anti-viruses show that Digital TV tuner has taken up 72% – 75% of their computer’s resources. But there’s nothing to worry about. To free up your disk space and improve the performance of your device back again, the above-mentioned fixes can be put to use. A user also recommended upgrading to Windows 10, as it doesn’t make use of Windows Media Centre and henceforth there will be no error related to Digital TV tuner.
I’m an engineer by profession and blogger by passion. In madly love with technology. You will either find me sitting infront of laptop or chatting with friends or talking with my dad. Fav Quote: *Age is Just a Number*. My Belief : Take chances and never have regret because at one point everything you did was exactly you wanted.