An error which everyone must have faced while accessing the internet is “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration”, and it is because of this you are unable to connect to the internet. In order to conduct operations online, it is essential to have a stable internet connection. Without an internet connection, you cannot perform any task on the internet, and as a result, all your important work can be stopped. Sometimes even after having an internet connection, you can still face connectivity issues which can be very frustrating and can waste your precious time too.
Why does this error occur? Well, it is due to the problem faced by your network interface card (NIC). It is caused due to the invalid IP address noticed by the DHCP. If the problem is because of a faulty driver or network configuration, then it can be fixed easily, but if it is related to a fault in the hardware, then you are compelled to replace your NIC. To fix this error, various ways have been devised we are going to narrow down the best ones for you.
- 1 Methods to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
- 1.1 Method 1: Updating your network adapters
- 1.2 Method 2: Uninstalling Ethernet Drivers
- 1.3 Method 3: Disable and Enable your NIC( Network Interface Card)
- 1.4 Method 4: Restoring the TCP/IP Settings
- 1.5 Method 5: Change Network Adapters Settings
- 1.6 Method 6: Disable IPv6
- 1.7 Method 7: Run Network Troubleshooter
- 2 Conclusion
Methods to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Method 1: Updating your network adapters
For updating your network adapters, you don’t have to use any complex steps or procedure. It is a simple process and can be done by anyone if they follow these simple guidelines.
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. On This PC right click and then choose properties option.
3. A control panel home window will be opened up on your screen under which you need to select Device Manager located on the left.
4. Along with the network adapters option, you can see an arrow on which you need to click to expand the list items.
5. When you locate your network adapter right-click on it and then click on update driver.
6. Next, click on search automatically for updated driver software. For performing this task, you must be connected to the internet.
7. The last step to complete this method is to restart your PC and checking whether the error has been resolved or not.
Method 2: Uninstalling Ethernet Drivers
In some cases, the updated drivers can also cause Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error. You have to uninstall them in such a scenario and for doing this take help of the following procedure.
1. Go to Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on This PC and select Properties option.
3. In the control panel, home window select the Device Manager.
4. Expand the list of network adapters by clicking on the arrow beside it.
5. Choose the network adapter which you want to uninstall and right-click on it to do it.
6. After right-clicking several options will be displayed to you from whom you have to choose Uninstall device option.
7. Click on OK.
8. Click on the action and select scan for changing hardware options. Your drivers will be reset to the default version.
9. Restart your PC and check if the error persists as the last step to fix this error.
Method 3: Disable and Enable your NIC( Network Interface Card)
1. Open run by pressing Windows and R keys together and in the box type “ncpa.cpl” and press enter.
2. Right-click on the NIC which is facing the issue.
3. Click on disable and then enable it again after a few minutes.
4. You have to wait till you receive an IP address.
5. Even after doing the above, the issue still does not get resolved then type the following command in cmd:
6. Restart your PC and check whether you are successful in fixing this Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error or not.
Method 4: Restoring the TCP/IP Settings
The steps for doing this are the following.
1. Press Windows and S keys simultaneously.
2. The search menu which is displayed type control panel and press enter.
3. In the control panel, select the Network and Sharing centre option.
4. In the View your active networks you have to find and select the network you have to fix. You are to do this by clicking on the connections option.
5. A pop up will appear on screen in which you need to click on the properties option.
6. Now inside the properties option, click on the install button and choose the protocol.
7. After choosing protocol, click on Add option, and then select a reliable multicast protocol option.
8. Click on Ok and restart your PC. It is also essential to ensure whether the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error has been resolved or not after the computer gets rebooted.
Method 5: Change Network Adapters Settings
1. Open run by simultaneously pressing Windows and R key and type “ncpa.cpl” in it. Press enter after typing.
2. Right-click on your Wifi (NIC) and from the expanded options which appear select properties.
3. In the Wi-Fi properties section, choose internet protocol version 4 (TCP/Ipv4) and click on properties.
4. It is important to ensure that the following are checked- obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically.
5. After checking the above two stated things click on OK and exit WiFi properties window.
6. Reboot to apply changes. Your Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error will be solved now.
Method 6: Disable IPv6
The IPv6 can be disabled in the following manner.
1. In the system tray right-click on the WiFi icon and then click on “Open network sharing centre”.
2. To open settings, click on your current connection.
3. Click on the properties button now in the window which has just opened up.
4. Uncheck the internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IP).
5. Click on OK and then close the window. Finally, restart your PC to save the changes made.
Method 7: Run Network Troubleshooter
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem can also be solved using troubleshooter. To run the network troubleshooter use the following measures.
1. Open up settings by pressing Windows and I keys together and in settings click on Update and security option.
2. Inside the update and security option, select Troubleshoot located on the left-hand menu.
3. Now click on internet connections and then click on Run the troubleshooter.
4. Instructions will be displayed to you on your screen which you have to follow to run the troubleshooter.
5. As the last step reboot your PC as it will save the changes made to the system by you.
You might be facing:
So you don’t have to struggle anymore now while trying to access the internet. All you have to do now is visit our website and check for the methods to resolve Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem. Till then continue to browse freely.
I’m an IT Professional with diverse operational experience in IT industry. I am very passionate about technology and love helping people thrive in tech. I believe that every problem has a solution, you just have to find a way to fix it. And that’s exactly why I started this troubleshooting website to help people easily fix various technical errors in their systems easily with my cool guides.