Fallout 4 is an action role-playing game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks, along with being the fifth major installment to the Fallout series. It’s compatible with Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, and Play Station 4.Gamers love playing Fallout 4 which offers them a post-apocalyptic environment, with them being the sole survivor. But they have been facing an issue Fallout 4 Crash on Startup from quite a while. The reasons for the same can be video resolution, graphics card issues, hardware issues, etc. Whatever the reason may be, we have provided fixes to solve the issue.
- 1 6 ways to fix Fallout 4 Crash on Startup
- 2 Final Words
6 ways to fix Fallout 4 Crash on Startup
Method 1: Fulfill system requirements
There are certain PC requirements that must be fulfilled for the smooth running of the game. These system requirements are:
- Operating System should be Windows 7, 8, or 10 with a minimum 64-bit OS.
- Processor requirements include – Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent.
- 8 GB RAM.
- 30 GB free HDD hard disk space.
- For Video – NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB or AMD Raedon HD 7870 2 GB or equivalent.
Apart from the above-mentioned requirements, following additional requirements can avoid errors while running Fallout 4. These are:
- For Processor – Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz or AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent.
- For Video – NVIDIA GTX 780 3 GB or AMD Raedon R9 290X 4 GB or equivalent.
First, you have to make sure that these system requirements are fulfilled, and if not, then make sure of conforming to the same. But if your system fulfills these requirements and you are still facing Fallout 4 Crash on Startup issue, then you can go through the other fixes that have been presented below.
Method 2: Disable Antivirus temporarily
Ant viruses are there to protect your system from various kinds of viruses and malware. To keep the host computer secure, they don’t allow some applications to run. This can be the case for Fallout 4 as well. Thus, disabling antivirus temporarily will solve the issue for you, and you’ll be able to then run your game without any further errors. To disable, kindly follow the below-given steps:
- Select “Show hidden icons” button from the taskbar.
- Right-click on the icon of the anti-virus program and select the option given for disabling it. It can be in various forms including “Quit”, “Temporarily disable XYZ protection”, “Exit”, etc.
- Restart the game.
Following this method, the issue Fallout 4 Crash on Startup will most probably be solved, and if not, you can follow other fixes that are mentioned further.
Method 3: Updating Graphics Card Driver
There are graphics components in your system that controls and enhances the display of graphics i.e. pictures, videos, animations, 3D etc. on your computer. It’s found in the motherboard and thus is also referred to as graphics card. We need Graphics card drivers to control the working of the graphics card with other components of the system.
But outdated or missing graphics card driver can be the cause for the Fallout 4 crash on Startup error. So, it’s essential to update the graphics card driver by going to the merchant’s website. This is the manual method of updating.
For NVIDIA and AMD, you can visit these sites:
Before updating the Graphics card drivers, make sure that the previous ones have been fully deleted.
Method 4: Adjusting in-game settings
Your system’s hardware or software may not be compatible with the “High Settings” of the game, for which you need to make some adjustments to it. You need to try and make different changes, and see which one works for you, as there is no particular way to fix the issue. Some of the changes that you can try are:
- You can change the game resolution and make it same as display resolution.
- Sometimes, the game may cause problems in running in full-screen mode for which you can try running it in ‘Windowed’ and ‘Borderless’ mode. You can do so by going to Graphics Adapter and Resolution Settings in Fallout 4.
- Changes can be in effect to the “Battery Settings” in Windows. Enable “High Performance” mode on it, instead of “Balanced” mode. Balanced mode throttles the speed of the CPU and hinders with the performance. This may lead to the Fallout 4 crash on startup error.
- Uncheck Enable Intro Video or check Disable Intro Video in Fallout 4 settings. Uncheck Enable God Rays as well.
After following the above method, you can check whether the issue Fallout 4 crash on startup has been solved or not.
Mtethod 5: Installing the latest patch
To remove the bugs and issues that might be encountered by games, its developers launch updates from time to time to remove them and ensure improved performance, stability, and security. To make sure smooth running of the game, you should install the latest patches.
For Fallout 4 as well, install the latest patch and update your game. Restart your computer after that and see if the issue has been fixed or not.
Method 6: Remove Mods
Mod is short for modification. These are the alterations that the fans of video games make to them. These can range from small changes and tweaks to complete overhauls.
Custom mods may be the reason for the Fallout 4 crash on startup error as well. So disabling or removing these mods might help in getting rid of this issue and you will be good to go.
The game was launched on November 10th, 2015, except for Japan, where it was launched on December 17th, 2015, due to the need to censor some footage and references to atomic war, in addition to keeping the plot intact. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas have similar gameplay as that of Fallout 4. A gamer can switch from first to third-person view. The game takes place in Boston, Massachusetts and famous landmarks like the USS Constitution, the Paul Revere Monument, the Massachusetts State House and many more have been included. We can buy the game from various platforms like Steam and Amazon.