There are specific issues which are very common in the computer world. One such issue is the GWXUX has stopped working error. For those of you who use Apple computers or laptops, this can be a new type of error, but it is a prevalent one in the lives of those who use Windows operating systems. GWXUX.exe file helps in fixing the compatibility issues before the system is ready for upgradation. It not only fixes the compatibility issues, but it is also referred to as PUP (Potentially unwanted program) as it continually asks the users to upgrade their systems. Since it is a common issue, therefore, a lot of steps are there to fix this error, and we have compiled some of them for your convenience in this article.
Methods to Fix GWXUX Has Stopped Working Error
Method 1: Delete update “KB3035583”
For deleting this update all you need to do is to follow these steps.
- Go to the start menu and click on the Settings option.
2. Now click on updates and security option.
3. Inside the updates and security window, click on the “Windows update” option to expand the options inside it. Now from the list of expanded options which appears on the right side click on “Advanced options”.
4. Now click on uninstall updates.
5. The list of installed updates which will be displayed on your screen, you have to click on uninstall on those which you want to uninstall.
6. Restart your computer system to complete the process.
Method 2: Fix Using the Troubleshoot Feature
To use this method take the help of the following steps
- Click on start.
2. Go to the search menu and open up the search bar. Type troubleshoot and search for it.
3. When the troubleshoot window opens up, select the option of fix problems with Windows updates in it.
4. Now click on the next tab and follow the instructions which are displayed.
5. After the process is completed, reboot the computer system.
Method 3: Boot in Safe Mode
This method is an effective measure to fix the GWXUX has stopped working problem as booting in safe mode will allow the computer system to run smoothly. It facilitates the system to run smoothly as the computer will run on minimal resources because of it. Follow these guidelines to use this method appropriately.
- First of all, start the system and press any key.
2. Now select repair your computer option.
3. Then select the troubleshoot option.
4. Further click on advanced options.
5. Now, you need to select startup settings option.
6. In the left bottom of the screen, a restart option is located. After following the above steps, click on it.
7. As a last step press F4, F5 and F6 keys which correspond to safe mode.
Method 4: Run Antivirus Scan
It can also be the case that your computer has a virus. The virus can prove to be harmful to your computer as it can cause a breakdown in the system and can also corrupt essential data in the system. Therefore it is critical to install and run an antivirus scan as sometimes the virus can come in the form of the GWXUX error and hence cause further problems. Running an antivirus scan helps in identifying and fixing any possible errors.
Method 5: Run system File Checker
The system file checker helps in finding and repairing any corrupted system files. This also helps in removing the GWXUX has stopped working error. Use the following steps to run the system file checker.
- Go to the start button and right-click on it. Then select “command prompt (admin)” from the WinX menu.
2. In the command prompt type “sfc/scannow” to initiate the system file checker scan.
3. The scan will take some time, just wait until the scanning process does not complete.
4. After the process is over, close the command prompt window and reboot the system.
5. The last step is to relaunch Windows update and select “Check for updates” option to install pending updates.
Method 6: Use Registry Editor
The gwxux has stopped working error can also be fixed by using the registry editor and for using this application take help of these steps.
- Open up the run box and in the box type “regedit” and press enter.
2. After the registry editor gets opened up, click on “HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE category and select “SOFTWARE” from the options inside it.
3. Click on “policies” to expand and then “Microsoft” to move ahead.
4. Select “Gwx” from here.
5. The gwx’s contents appear on the right side after clicking on it. You need to right-click in the right pane on an empty place and after that select “New” and then “DWORD 32-bit value” from here.
6. Give it the name “Disablegwx”.
7. Double click on “disable gfx” to edit DWORD 32- bit value. It is usually 0 by default, but you need to change it to 1 to disable the update.
8. Lastly, close the registry editor and restart the system. After the system gets restarted check if the error has been resolved or not.
So freely work on your computer systems now as you can open up our article every time whenever you face the GWXUX has stopped working error and want to fix it.
I’m an IT Professional with diverse operational experience in IT industry. I am very passionate about technology and love helping people thrive in tech. I believe that every problem has a solution, you just have to find a way to fix it. And that’s exactly why I started this troubleshooting website to help people easily fix various technical errors in their systems easily with my cool guides.