Have you ever operated on your laptop/computer for a hard time and faced problems? If you do so, then I believe that you would have skimmed to overwhelm them. We often face several types of errors while doing works with our computers such as browser keeps shutting down, freezing and crashing issues, messages to update your software, viruses, internet explorer stopped working, and many more. Well, to aid you all we are providing this article. In today’s article, we are going to know about a few most reliable ways to fix the error Internet Explorer has Stopped Working. Let us have a glimpse over them.
Reasons/Causes of this error:
Everything happens for a reason. Similarly, if you are facing issues with your internet explorer, then there might be a few reasons behind it. This error occurs mostly in the laptop/computer across Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows Vista. If you notice these problems with your laptop/computer, then you can assure that your internet explorer has stopped working.
• If the DLL (which allow to share data, allow programs to communicate) records upon which the Internet Explorer depends to work is affected by a virus or corrupted files, then we may receive this error.
• By adding third-party options to your laptop/computer.
• By changing Internet Explorer’s basic settings of your laptop/computer.
• Internet Explorer may get more unwanted toolbars, BHO’s, add-ons, and extensions.
• Incompatible plugins.
- 1 How to Fix Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working
- 1.1 Method 1: Reset Your Internet Explorer
- 1.2 Method 2: Disable Software Rendering
- 1.3 Method 3: Using Task Manager
- 1.4 Method 4: Disable 3D in NVIDIA Graphics Driver
- 1.5 Method 5: Disable unwanted Add-ons
- 1.6 Method 6: Scan your Computer from Malware
- 1.7 Method 7: Disable third-party browser extensions
- 1.8 Method 8: Find the .DLL file which is conflicting with Internet Explorer
- 1.9 Method 9: Reset Security Zone
- 1.10 Method 10: Reinstall Internet Explorer
- 1.11 Method 11: Clear Cached Data in Internet Explorer
- 1.12 Method 12: Reinstall Adobe Flash Player, Java, and Silverlight
- 2 Conclusion
How to Fix Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working
Method 1: Reset Your Internet Explorer
Resetting your internet explorer may assist you to be unshackled from this error. This method is straightforward to resolve your issues instantly. You can reset your internet explorer in two modes.
- Open your laptop/computer and open up the Internet Explorer Application.
2. Select Tools option( you may find it at the top-left corner of the screen) or press ALT.
3. Tap on Internet Options which provides a window.
4. Later click on Advanced Tab, and then Reset Button.
5. You will be directed to a window in which you have to enable the checkbox named as Delete personal settings.
6. Click on Reset and restart Internet Explorer to complete the process.
If you are helpless to open Internet Explorer, then I hope that you can do this alternative and stop getting internet explorer errors.
1. Open your windows menu and Click on the Icon or hit the Windows key.
2. Type Control Panel and select Network And Internet.
3. In the menu, click Internet options.
4. Click on Advanced tab and then on reset option.
5. Enable delete personal setting as mentioned in the above method and click on Reset.
This will probably solve the issue. If you are helpless to do so, then follow up with the next methods.
Method 2: Disable Software Rendering
At some situations, graphics rendering may lead to the formation of internet explorer issues, to eradicate it you have to update your graphics card or try to disable the hardware acceleration option in Internet Explorer 9 and also in Internet Explorer 10. The steps to be followed are.
1. Turn on your laptop/computer and open Internet Explorer application.
2. Click on Tools menu or click on ALT key(which will be available on your keyboard) to activate the menu bar.
3. Click on Internet Options. It will show a configuration window.
4. Click on Advanced Tab.
5. An option named use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Uncheck the option which is under accelerated graphics menu.
6. Click on the Reset button.
I hope that your internet explorer will commence working. If it is not so, then go with the next methods.
Method 3: Using Task Manager
We often use our laptop/computer for multiple tasks such as to watch movies, to listen to songs, to do business works, and many more. When a program is running, we opt for several background processes, so that we can complete work in a fast manner. Similarly, while working with your Internet Explorer, you may get struck by diverse processes which leads to the formation of internet explorer stopped working error. Applying Task Manager helps to be free form this issue. Let us have a sight at some of the steps involved to use Task Manager.
1. Give a right-click at your toolbar or press and hold CTRL+ALT+DELETE/DLT and select Task Manager.
2. Open more details option which is at the bottom to see the background process of your device.
3. Double-check whether the Internet Explorer is not running in the forefront. If you notice, then right-click and select End Task.
4. Later scroll down to Background processes(just below ) to see if Internet Explorer is working or not. If you observe Internet Explorer, then right-click on it, and select End Task.
5. Restart your Internet Explorer to complete the process.
Method 4: Disable 3D in NVIDIA Graphics Driver
This method is applicable only for the users who possess the NVIDIA Graphics driver. If you do not have this application, then we suggest you go with the next methods. You can stop receiving internet explorer stopped working message by disabling the stereoscopic 3D option in NVIDIA Graphics Drive by following the below steps.
1. Open NVIDIA Software which is present in your laptop/computer system tray.
2. You can view an option named as stereoscopic 3D on the left side of the screen. Disable it and see if the problem stills occur.
Method 5: Disable unwanted Add-ons
Most of the times we face difficulty with add-ons while working with your Internet Explorer. To run your work handily, we have to disable some unwanted add-ons. Let us have a look at the steps involved in this method.
1. Turn on your laptop/computer and open Internet Explorer menu bar and go to Tools menu.
2. Then opt for Manage Add-ons option.
3. Later, click on show button and select All add-ons option.
4. A new pop-up box will be directed in which you can view the list of all Internet Explorer add-ons. Select the unnecessary add-on unnecessary one your Internet Explorer.
5. Click on Disable option.
6. Restart your device and verify the working of Internet Explorer.
Method 6: Scan your Computer from Malware
If your machine is affected by malware, then you may get issues such as internet explorer stopped working. To eradicate it we recommend you to scan your devices with the help of Antivirus or any other virus predictable software. You can also install Malwarebytes and scan for malware. Below are the steps required to be followed to download and run Malwarebytes on Windows 10. Let us have a look over it.
1. Open your web browser. (It may be Google Chrome, Edge, or Mozilla Firefox)
2. Visit the official website of Malwarebytes, or you can access the link directly.
3. Download and Install Malwarebytes.
4. After the completion of the Malwarebytes, run the application.
5. Click on Scan button.
6. Wait until Malwarebytes completes the scanning process in your hard drive.
7. Remove all threats and restart your device.
8. Open Internet Explorer and see if the problem still occurs. If you do so, then go with the next methods.
Method 7: Disable third-party browser extensions
If your Internet Explorer stops working, then one of the reasons behind it might be the third-party browsers. When we disable these third-party browser extensions, we may get free from third-party tool bands and some Browser Helper Objects. Let us have a look at the steps involved in disabling third-party browser extensions.
1. Open your Internet Explorer application in your device.
2. Go to Settings and choose Internet Options.
3. Choose the advanced tab and deselect Enable third-party browser extensions.
4. Click on Apply and then ok.
5. Restart your Internet Explorer once and see if the problem has erased or not.
Method 8: Find the .DLL file which is conflicting with Internet Explorer
If the above methods don’t work out, then you can go with this method and resolve the issue as internet explorer stopped working and the problems related to your internet explorer. Finding the .DLL file in your device may aid you to be free from issues. The steps to be followed are.
1. Open your device and Right-click on My Computer(you can find it in the desktop).
2. Click on the Manage option. You will be addressed to a new window.
3. Click on Event Viewer menu(which is on the left side of the screen) and extend it.
4. Click on the Windows Log menu.
5. Click on Application option under the Windows Log menu.
6. As soon as you click on the Application option, you can view the list of system logs.
7. Later find the error named as iexplore.exe, with a red exclamation error.
8. Double click on it to find the details of the error.
9. Find the file named as DLL file among the details. As soon as find your culprit, you can stop it by doing several processes such as repairing, remaining, and delete that file.
10. If you face any difficulty while deleting the DLL file, then reboot the computer in safe mode and then delete the file.
This method should aid you to fix the internet explorer stopped working error.
Method 9: Reset Security Zone
This method allows you to reset the security zone at a default level. The steps to be followed to reset the security zone are:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Go to Settings and choose Internet option.
3. Choose the Security tab.
4. Click Reset All Zones To Default Option and click on Apply option.
5. Finally, click on OK and restart your Internet Explorer to start your work.
Method 10: Reinstall Internet Explorer
With the guidance of this method, you can install or recover the new version of Internet Explorer. Most of the users opt for this method as it aids to eradicate the internet explorer stopped working issue. Let us have a look at the reinstalling procedure.
1. Open your device which has to be repaired.
2. Hold the Windows logo button and press R.
3. Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter in order to access Programs and Features.
4. Click Turn Windows features on or off option, which is present on the left side of the window.
5. Drive to Internet Explorer and deselect it.
6. Click Yes to verify the switching off of the Internet Explorer.
7. Later, Click OK and wait until Windows switch off the Internet Explorer.
8. Restart your device.
9. Hold the Windows logo and haste R.
10. Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter in order to access Programs and Features.
11. You can view an option named as Turn Windows features on or off on the left side of the window click on it.
12. Move to the Internet Explorer and select it.
13. Click OK and wait until Windows turn on the Internet Explorer
14. Run Internet Explorer and enjoy your work.
Method 11: Clear Cached Data in Internet Explorer
If short or cached files are corrupted, then you resolve them with the help of this method. The steps to be followed to clear the corrupted data in your Internet Explorer, and to fix the internet explorer stopped working issue are:
1. Open your laptop/computer.
2. Run Internet Explorer application.
3. Go to Settings.
4. Choose Safety and then Delete the Browsing History.
5. Select all option and choose the Delete button.
6. Restart your device and once run your Internet Explorer.
Method 12: Reinstall Adobe Flash Player, Java, and Silverlight
If you are a Windows 10 user, then I hope that your Flash Player is united with Internet Explorer. You can overcome the issues of Internet Explorer by reinstalling the Adobe Flash Player. The steps to be followed are:
1. Hold the Windows logo button and press R.
2. Type appwiz.cpl and then after press Enter to open Programs and Features.
3. Go to Adobe Flash Player 26 ActiveX and follow the procedure required to uninstall Adobe Flash Player 26 ActiveX.
4. Restart your Windows and open the web browser. The web browser may be Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
5. Visit the official website of Adobe by clicking on this link. The screen will be displayed, as shown below.
6. Select your operating system and your browser.
7. Uncheck all offers under Optional offers.
8. Click on Download option.
9. After the completion of downloading, run Adobe Flash Player.
10. Click on Yes to confirm the running installation as an Administrator.
11. Click Allow Adobe to install updates under update flash player preferences menu.
12. Later, click on Finish button and restart your web browser.
13. Run Internet Explorer and have fun with it.
These are the few techniques through which you can eradicate your Internet Explorer working issues such as freezing, crashing, and internet explorer stopped working.
I hope that all might have got an idea of the methods to be followed to resolve internet explorer stopped working issue. We suggest all be cautious while applying these methods. I have provided the main, and the key methods, you can find many more online. I hope that the article was helpful.
I’m an IT Professional with diverse operational experience in IT industry. I am very passionate about technology and love helping people thrive in tech. I believe that every problem has a solution, you just have to find a way to fix it. And that’s exactly why I started this troubleshooting website to help people easily fix various technical errors in their systems easily with my cool guides.