Steam is generally a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation that provides for purchasing and playing video games. It allows users video streaming, matchmaking, social networking services, and digital rights management as well.
But users have been reporting an issue with Steam while downloading their games. They state that whenever they try and download a game, at first it speed slows and then the download process stops and then starts again randomly. Due to steam download stopping issue, downloads don’t get completed, which can be really frustrating for the users.
But herein mentioned are some of the ways through which you can get rid of this error and continue downloading and enjoying playing games via Steam.
- 1 8 Ways to Fix Steam Download Stopping and Restarting
- 1.1 Method 1: Closing all unwanted applications
- 1.2 Method 2: Adjusting the Time and time zone
- 1.3 Method 3: ‘.NET’ to be enabled properly
- 1.4 Method 4: Disabling Windows Defender
- 1.5 Method 5: Clearing the Download Cache
- 1.6 Method 6: Updating Network Drivers
- 1.7 Method 7: Limit Bandwidth
- 1.8 Method 8: Clear HTML Cache
- 2 Conclusion
8 Ways to Fix Steam Download Stopping and Restarting
Method 1: Closing all unwanted applications
There are some applications like Skype, CCleaner, VPN software, Firewall, etc. may be the reason for the steam download stopping and restart error. These applications may interfere with the working of Steam and lead to such errors. Thus closing these unwanted applications can be of great help. To do the same,
- Open ‘Run’ by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
- Type the command “taskmgr” in the dialogue box, followed by hitting Enter. This will open the Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, end all the unwanted applications that are or can be the reason for the error like antivirus, firewall, Skype, etc.
- To end a task, right-click on the task and select ‘End Process’.
- Restart Steam and try downloading the game now.
Method 2: Adjusting the Time and time zone
Steam works in real-time and collects real-time data from your system. Thus if there is any discrepancy between time on your system and the set time zone, Steam is bound to encounter unexpected errors. So it’s important to reconcile the time and the time zone.
- Open Control Panel by clicking on the ‘Start’ menu and searching for it in the search bar.
- From the various categories given, select ‘Date and Time’.
- Choose the ‘Internet Time’ tab and click on ‘Change Settings’.
- Check the dialogue box “Synchronize with an Internet Time Server” and click on ‘Update now’.
- Click on OK and restart Steam.
Method 3: ‘.NET’ to be enabled properly
‘.NET’ is a framework that is essential for the smooth running of games. But in some computers, it’s not fully enabled by default, which can be another reason for steam download stopping error. To enable it, follow the given steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on ‘Programmes and features’.
- On the left-hand side, an option namely “Turn Windows feature on or off” will appear. Click on it.
- A small window will appear with a various of check boxes. On top “.NET” framework will also be given. Its checkbox will be ticked but on expanding it, you will find two more check boxes and you need to check both.
- After changing these settings, exit the control panel and launch Steam.
Method 4: Disabling Windows Defender
Many users have reported that disabling Windows defender has worked well for them, and it might work for you as well. But if this method doesn’t work for you, turn on Windows defender back again.
- Press Windows + r and type ‘msc’.
- A ‘Local Group Policy Editor’ will appear. Click on the ‘Computer Configuration’ tab and further select ‘Administrative templates’.
- ‘Windows Component’ folder will appear. Click on it and further select ‘Windows Defender’.
- From the various options shown, select ‘Turn off Windows Defender’.
- Select ‘Enabled’ and then click on Apply. Afterward, click on OK.
- Restart your computer and relaunch Steam.
- Relaunch it as “Run as administrator”.
Method 5: Clearing the Download Cache
Download Cache is used in the process of downloading/updating/patching a game. But this can also lead to the error of steam download stopping and restarting again and getting the user nowhere. Thus, clearing the download cache will help. For doing the same, there are two ways. You can either clear cache data by ‘opening Steam’, or by using the ‘Run’ command.
a. Opening Steam
Open Steam client, and then follow this path: Steam > Settings > Download. Select “Clear Download Cache” from there and you will be successful in clearing your cached data.
b. Using “Run” command
1) Press Windows + R keys together. This will open ‘Run’.
2) Type in the following command: “Steam://flushconfig” and click on OK.
3) A pop-up will appear to warn you of the consequences that this will clear the cached data and you need to log in again. Click on ‘OK’.
Method 6: Updating Network Drivers
Steam always keeps itself up-to-date with the latest software changes and hence would face errors like steam download stopping if your network drivers are not latest. Thus herein mentioned are the steps to be followed to check the network cards that are installed on your system, and how to update their drivers.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select ‘Device manager’ from there.
- A list of devices will appear from which you need to select ‘Network Adapters’.
- The adapters that are installed on your system will appear. Double click on the driver and a window will appear.
- Click on the ‘Driver’ tab and hence select ‘Update Driver’.
- You can choose between updating automatically or manually. Update as per your convenience.
- Restart Steam and try downloading now.
Method 7: Limit Bandwidth
If you face a lot of fluctuations while downloading, then limiting your network bandwidth from Steam will cure your problem. You need to choose a decent speed, which is neither too high and neither too low as well.
- Open Steam client and run it as administrator.
- Given on the top-left corner, select Steam and then Settings.
- Go to the Downloads tab, and therein you will find an option of “Limit bandwidth to”.
- On selecting it, a drop-down will pop-up wherein you will find a number of speeds to limit your bandwidth to.
- Choose according to your internet speed. Afterward, close Steam and relaunch.
Method 8: Clear HTML Cache
You can also try clearing the HTML Cache for solving the steam download stopping issue. For this, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Select ‘Folder Options” or “File Explorer Options”.
- Go to the ‘View’ tab and check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”. Close the window.
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R keys and type “C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache”. Here <Username> is your Windows account username.
- Further, open ‘C’ drive and open “Users”.
- Click on your username and then select ‘AppData”. Then advance towards the next folder “Local” and locate “Steam” folder in it.
- Then, a folder named “htmlcache” will appear. In this folder, select all the items and delete all of them.
There can be various reasons for the Steam download stopping and restarting error due to the distinctive hardware and software specifications that the users have. Also due to the same reason, no single method can be stated as the best fit. Thus, any one of the methods mentioned above can be employed by you, whichever works and solves the issue for you.
I’m an engineer by profession and blogger by passion. In madly love with technology. You will either find me sitting infront of laptop or chatting with friends or talking with my dad. Fav Quote: *Age is Just a Number*. My Belief : Take chances and never have regret because at one point everything you did was exactly you wanted.