Microsoft has been successful in the past with the launch of its operating systems. But these OS have been confronted with some bugs and errors too, Windows license will expire soon being one of them. This issue is related to various updates being offered to the users. Reasons for this error can be many, but it has solutions as well.
- 1 6 ways to fix Windows license will expire soon error
- 2 Conclusion
6 ways to fix Windows license will expire soon error
Method 1: Restart Windows Explorer Process
Windows Explorer Process is a non-essential file for Windows OS and is thus, a cause for relatively fewer problems. It is located in C:/Windows folder. If it’s found anywhere else, then it’s probably a malware, virus, Trojan etc. It has no information about its developer. Being not so vital for the running of the Windows, it can be stopped and restarted, without any negative effects on the functioning of the Windows. Also, restarting the Windows Explorer Process can solve the Windows license will expire soon error.
To restart Windows Explorer Process, go through the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Select Start Task Manager.
- Task Manager will open. Under the Processes tab, you’ll find a lot of processes. Find Windows Explorer and right-click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear, from which you have to select ‘End task’.
- From the topmost bar, select ‘File’.
- Then select ‘Run new task’.
- A dialogue box namely ‘Create new task’ will appear in which you have to type “explorer.exe”
- Click on OK.
- Now Command Prompt needs to be opened for which you have to press Windows + X keys.
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type the following command, “slmgr –rearm”. There is a space after slmgr.
- Press Enter. Close the Command Prompt.
- Reboot your system.
This will most probably solve the issue and you won’t have to see this message again.
Method 2: Editing Local Group Policy
Group Policy is a feature of the Microsoft Windows NT family that provides for centralized management and configuration of operating systems. A version of Group Policy is known as Local Group Policy.
Windows license will expire soon error can be solved by changing the local group policy as well. For changing the group policy, following steps need to be followed:
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R keys together.
- Type the command “gpedit.msc”. Press Enter.
- Local Group Policy Editor dialog box will open.
- Now select the following one after the other: Computer Configuration (given on the left pane) > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Afterward, Settings will appear on the right side.
- Navigate to “No auto-restart with logged-on users for scheduled automatic updates installations” and double-click on it.
- Click on Enabled which will appear in another dialog box.
- Hit OK.
This method has been reported by multiple users to solve the issue and will most likely work for you as well.
Method 3: Disabling Services
Disabling a few services might solve the Windows license will expire soon error. Follow these simple steps to disable services:
- Press Windows + R key.
- Type the command “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Services window will open from which you need to select “Windows License Manager Services” and double-click on it.
- Properties will open. Set the startup type to Disabled.
- If the ‘Service Status’ is ‘Running’, then select stop.
- Afterwards, click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Then locate Windows Update service and open properties by double-clicking on it.
- Set the startup type to Disabled. If the ‘Service Status’ is ‘Running’, then select stop.
After following the above-mentioned steps, you’ll be able to get rid of this error.
Method 4: Activating Windows through Product Key
- Press Windows + X key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type in the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- Press Enter. Your Product key will appear. Note it down somewhere.
- Now press Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Select Activation tab from the left panel, followed by Change product key.
- Enter the product key noted down in c. above and hit Next.
This will activate your Windows and lead to the removal of Windows license will expire soon message.
Method 5: Registry modification
This fix can only be used for a genuine activated copy of Windows 10. Your Windows license will expire soon error can be removed by simply making a few changes to the registry.
Before making modifications, you need to export your registry. Following steps need to be followed for exporting registry:
- Press Windows + R keys. Run will open.
- Type “regedit”, followed by pressing Enter.
- This will open the Registry Editor. Click on File and then select Export.
- Select All as Export Range and specify a location. Click on Save.
If anything untoward happens, just run the file that you have created and the registry will return to its original state.
Now, given below are the steps for modifying your registry:
- Open Command Prompt by pressing Windows + X keys.
- Type the command : reg add “HKLMSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSoftware Protection Platform” /v NoGenTicket /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Press Enter.
These steps will lead to modification of your registry and will get rid of the Windows license will expire soon error. If you face any issues after modifying the registry, simply run the registry backup file to restore the registry to its original state.
Method 6: Activation Troubleshoot
This fix can only be used by users of Windows 10 Version 1607 or above.
- Open Start menu and search for Settings in the search bar.
- Go to Update & Security.
- From the left pane, select
- Launch Activation Troubleshoot after that.
The troubleshooter will detect all the errors and issues and perform all the necessary checks. It will also fix them simultaneously. Once it’s done, close the troubleshooter.
Users of the Windows operating system have been facing Windows license will expire soon error time and again. The reason for the same being that some updates were meant to be autonomous system updates rather than being intended for regular OS development. This necessitates the need for buying and putting in the license key. But whatever the reason may be, the above-given solutions can be put to use and Windows license will expire soon error can be fixed.
I’m an engineer by profession and blogger by passion. In madly love with technology. When I am not reading novels, I am cooking or listening to Jay Shetty’s podcasts.